Friday, June 1, 2007

Half Jack by Dresden Dolls

The Dresden Dolls seem to put an enormous amount of enthusiasm in everything they do (that'd be the "punk" part of "punk cabaret"). And one of my favorites of theirs is Half Jack. In the live versions of the song, Brian Viglione does an extended drum into that's almost exhausting just to watch. And Amanda Palmer's singing is fantastically earnest. My favorite parts are her delivery of the line "I'd sacrifice my body to get the Jack part ... out." and the way she growls "Run, Jack, run" at the end.

http://www.dresdendolls.com/media_site/downloads/HalfJack.mp3

1 comment:

e said...

What really got me was seeing Amanda do her own "backup" vocals live towards the end... "See (SEE!) Jack (JACK!) run (RUN!), Jack (JACK!) run (RUN!) Jack (JACK!) run (RUN!)..."

version from Paradise DVD

also, you still need to see the pre-show footage, which includes a one-woman interpretive ASL version of that song that is just kickass.